Monday, March 7, 2022

Personal Impacts Professional

 It's been a weird year.

Yes, I know, it's only March, so why make it sound like it's almost over?

Well, it is for me. As of April 2, I will be taking FMLA to go 'home' to the UK to support Mum. 90 years old and suffering from Alzheimer's, she needs the help.  The plan has been for her to come to me. We gathered paperwork, paid a lot of dollars, wrote to state senators - whatever we had to do, I did. Whatever was suggested, I tried.  But she still isn't here.  The green card process for a parent isn't quick, and it isn't easy. 

We were hoping for an expedite, but that got denied.  Twice.

So now we wait for her name to climb the list. We thought August, now perhaps September.  The waiting continues.

In the meantime, she's no longer safe alone.  

This has been the backdrop to my year.  Early morning Zoom calls and back-and-forth emails to the UK. Daily phone calls to Mum. Constant contact with neighbors and carers. It's been stressful. Sleep has not come easy. Emotions have run high.

And yet? Professionally this year has been mostly joyful.  I have taught the best lessons I have ever tried. New strategies focused on my new learning.  Great relationships with the majority of my students having been looped from sixth to seventh with me (side note - looping works. Powerful).  Awesome monthly parent Teams meetings. With only two classes, both advanced, those students got so much more of me. Although the prep took just as long as if I had 5 sections, the feedback did not, and I was able to focus so much more.

Then I had the opportunity to work as a 'half-coach.' That was my focus when not teaching.

Coaching teachers who have pushed me really think about what works and why. I have grown so much!

Negatives? Yes. The new teacher who complained that I was visiting her to observe too much.  The 3rd year teachers who went to the principal about my observing them - not knowing that two other administrators had begged me to step in.  It happens.  I adjusted, I changed, I learned.

By February I found my people. I was creating lessons, co-teaching, and had 4 Impact Cycles ongoing.  

The lessons were simple. 

  • You can offer, but not everyone's going to take
  • Kids are more excited about learning than adults
  • Not everyone sees the need to improve
  • Sometimes you don't have the answers - and that's OK
  • Your personal life can truly impact your accomplishments
They say you can do less when you are under stressful circumstances - and I found that to be true. But I strived to be the best I can be this year, and I can honestly look back and say that it was a good year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Should be a Student Once in a While...

 I had Tweeted post workout the other day - pointing out how you can learn a lot about teaching while in a group class in the gym. The more ...