Thursday, March 10, 2022

When Things Didn't Quite Work - Opportunity Came Knocking

A New Opportunity!

A New Challenge!

Last year, I had the opportunity to be a 'part-time coach.' I learned a lot - both positive and negative - but one thing I learned was that part-time doesn't work without constant communication from and between administrators. I'm not blaming them, there were other priorities and a different idea of my role between them.  I found that when doors were opened, success followed.  I discovered that my love of talking pedagogy was embraced by many.  I found that my willingness to graft and create for amazing teachers was a gift that I could give. I also learned things about myself.  I saw that I find it very hard to live without recognition. I discovered that doing the 'secret' work was not for me.  I found it very difficult to not know my place, to not have a definite role.

I also discovered that 2 classes of ELA were a fabulous amount. It allowed me to pour heart and soul into my planning as I always do, focusing on strategic ways to use the time in as engaging fashion as always, but with only 60 students to give feedback too, not only could I increase the depth of feedback, but it opened up the time for me to create and do for other teachers.  

It was my best teaching year ever.

The hours I spent researching for others, taking classes, listening to podcasts, all gave me opportunities to play and experiment in my classroom - then share with teachers with first-hand experience.  

And those teachers who shared their gratitude with me, and those kids and parents who have reached out to me to share their appreciation, kept me pushing myself to truly deserve that praise.

But, I knew that it wouldn't last - allotments would come in, and without a place that I clearly fitted into the jigsaw of the school, it was only a matter of time before I knew that the opportunity would be gone.  I knew that I could never truly share my ability to coach without it being a full-time opportunity, and even though I strongly believe that any good school should have a coach, it's something our county is no longer fully supporting with special allotments. The opportunities are hard to come by.  For a while there I was strongly thinking of looking at other options. Our school schedule is changing to lose block days, and we are moving away from a lunchtime enrichment class that the majority of teachers hate, but I found fed my creativity and desire to experiment. The thought of 5 sections of ELA - much as I love ELA - was not enticing.  Should I go the private school route?  Should I find something else entirely?  I could do virtual teaching. I could...

For a while there, I even considered being an activity director at an assisted living facility. Maybe I'd get a discount for my Mum, you never know.

But then the opportunity came calling. The job I wanted at a different school over a year ago was offered to me on a plate - but this time at my own school. With the community I love, and the kids I know.

The chance to take our somewhat silent, often empty media center and turn it into the heart of our school.  A space that is vibrant, fun, and sought out.  Working with all the kids, a resource for all the teachers, ideas about!

Step 1 has been taken - a workshop with students to see what THEY want in their space. Step 2 is sharing the ideas with teachers and getting their feedback.  Step 3 will be a second workshop with kids.  My Vision Book is flowing. My working document is filled with an abundance of brainstorms.  My book order is massive and my podcast list has shifted.

Let's Go!

Let's Plan!

Let's DO!

Feedback from the Kids



No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Should be a Student Once in a While...

 I had Tweeted post workout the other day - pointing out how you can learn a lot about teaching while in a group class in the gym. The more ...