Monday, January 9, 2023

No Really, Being a Teacher Librarian is Like Selling Tupperware!

It’s like selling Tupperware!


Seriously. 


I sold Tupperware in Virginia and North Carolina. And if I say it myself, I was good. I mean, national numbers good. I mean free vehicles and Alaskan cruise good. To this day I’ll praise understanding the ‘game’ and having an amazing product. I understood that it wasn’t about selling a ton of plastic product, it was about helping my host to bring as many people to the party as possible.  I realized that teaching people about why Tupperware was created and why it was so superior to other products would interest and engage guests. I saw that generosity and good humor, educating and always utilizing exemplary customer service, brought and kept me, clients, earned me referrals, and created a client base that would almost literally do anything for me. 


πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™


The environment was far beyond the product - although nothing would have worked with a poor item to sell.


When people tell me I’m a good salesperson, I disagree.  A good salesperson can sell people things they don’t want or need. I can’t do that.  What I was good at was determining a need and helping the clients to find a way to get what they wanted. 


It really isn’t that different from what I do now.  


My number one goal is to get kids in the door (bring them to the party). Once they are there, we build relationships, host fun activities, listen to their needs, help them to get the experience they want … and then they come back. 


πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š


Take my non-reader who wanted our missing PelΓ© book.  It was all he wanted. But it was lost. So I bought a copy on Amazon, sent a message to his teacher, and when he came bursting in, full of excitement, we celebrated together



He’s a frequent flyer now πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰ 


Which reminds me, I must get more books about soccer ⚽️


I have a great product - books.  Books of every variety. So, I find out the needs, make the match, and they come back for more.  


When I sold Tupperware, I had great success with a product called Modular Mates.  Modular storage to custom fit to your cabinet. Keeps all dry good fresh and looks good too!  I offered free customizations, special sets, “BOGO” and anything else to get people started with it.  Because, believe me - once you have your food in Modular Mates, nothing else would do.




Great product, personalized to your needs - how can you not want more?  


Books or Tupperware.  Party or MLC.  The goals, the message, and the eventual wins are all coming from the same desire. To help people have fun and to make their lives better with a great product. 


Selling reading. Selling Tupperware. Selling books. Selling a way to keep food fresh. 


Selling joy


 πŸ€©  πŸ€©  πŸ€© 

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed everything about this post Bridget... the analogy, the positive energy and your voice shining through. Kids are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete

Everyone Should be a Student Once in a While...

 I had Tweeted post workout the other day - pointing out how you can learn a lot about teaching while in a group class in the gym. The more ...