Thursday, September 9, 2021

What Should 'Grace' Really Mean?

I have been doing a lot of mulling over the catch 22 that they call ‘grace'. Allowing teachers room and understanding that the environment is tough is good - but it’s not quite the same as lowering expectations...is it?

Differentiation for ME!

We are all taught that differentiation is key. We teach to the child, correct? With personalized needs and responses, and remember that the playing level isn’t always flat. That’s what we do.

So having said all of that, I should explain ME and my nature. After all, it's my reflection, and I am the one feeling that something is missing.

My thoughts and dilemma are that I am coming from a place where I need goals and expectations. I believe strongly that I am a professional, and should always strive to be better than I am today. Maybe sometimes ‘better than today’ is just a little bit better, because of the time, climate, and situation. Perhaps better is a complete change in my pedagogy. It depends.  Regardless, for me personally, for my nature, I need to know that I am considered as a professional and that it’s understood that I will work best in an environment with a clear mission and strong support along the way.

It’s how I roll.

Last year wasn’t just exhausting because of the sheer workload. It was also tiring because I often felt on my own. Gone were the days of professional learning goals and team-think.  As much as I might’ve moaned at the time, had they been enforced - with 2020 hindsight, I really missed them.

Now don’t get me wrong, I do think that society doesn’t recognize what we do. And I know we are tired.  But I also believe if we want to be perceived as professionals, we need to act as professionals. Almost everyone in the world has been burdened by this Covid thing, and now we’re at a stage where sadly, it really is more of a new normal than a shock response.  We need to take stock, set goals among the new parameters and strive to be better at our craft…even if it’s only a little bit better.

I create the eye roll

I'm THAT teacher. The one who suggests that it would be good to dig deeper into the standards and think about how we can always be better.  I see the eyes rolling at meetings.  But I'm on Twitter, I talk to people, I see the world around me. I know that I am not the only teacher who believes that learning and growth are a part of his/her very being.

So what's the answer?

I make my goals and I try to keep to them. I seek out help and stay deep into the Twittersphere. I search locally for my people and strive to be better.  But I am not giving up on my peers - if there is one person who wants more, I will be there for and with them.  We grow better together.

My word for the school year was Joyful.  Learning and improving makes me joyful - and makes life a lot more joyful for my students too. So, here we go. Supported or not, pushed or self-motivated, it's time to up the ante and aim high.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Should be a Student Once in a While...

 I had Tweeted post workout the other day - pointing out how you can learn a lot about teaching while in a group class in the gym. The more ...