Saturday, January 28, 2023

I’m a TikTok-er ๐Ÿ˜‚

 tried TiKTok a while ago. A couple of lame attempts with a boomerang video of Toffee Girl when she was a puppy ๐Ÿถand I think one of my horse ๐Ÿด Cute, adorable.  

No one cared, I found myself stuck in a TikTok loop of scrolling for random pointless hours, and no one looked at my videos anyway, so I stopped. There’s quite enough screen time in my life, I don’t have time, and the endless scrolling REALLY has to stop ๐Ÿ›‘ 


So my TiKTok career ended about a week after it started, and other than the occasional thought, was put to bed. 


But then I went to the GA Ed Tech conference and heard librarians extolling the outreach of TikTok.  I saw presenters sharing a TikTok QR code at the end of the slides, and I started revising the idea. I mean, if they can do it, surely I can๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผ‍♀️ 


You can’t give up on an idea. Never say never … and all that. 


After all, hardly anyone used to come into the MLC, but now they do. Teachers didn’t have the MS teach, but now they do.  You CAN make change with little more than excitements and a never-give-up mind-frame. 


Perhaps by seeking wisdom from others and focusing on books and the MLC, I can grow a TikTok account.  After all, teachers only visited the MLC to pick up their laminating. Now they pop in several times a day for coffee and treats ☕️๐Ÿฉ, see what I’m doing with other classes, and ask for support ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿผ‍♀️๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿป‍♂️Well, this would be the same thing, right?  I just need to decide what the TikTok version of candy and coffee is ๐Ÿคจ


So I formulated a plan. I’m following the plan. And even though I have very unexciting numbers and am not setting the world on fire ๐Ÿ”ฅ, it’s growing.  


Here’s what I’ve learned so far.

  • Hashtags.  Gotta do the hashtags. Don’t be creative, choose the popular ones.  Look at the numbers as they auto fill 
  • #fyp  it’s a requirement. 
  • Connect social media accounts - tweet it, Insta-it, Mastodon it.  The lot. 
  • Tell the kids. All the kids. The kids will follow
  • Don’t follow the kids. Never follow the kids ๐Ÿ˜‚
  • Long ones get 14 views, short ones get 200.  Keep it short. 
  • Use the TiKTok tools - it makes you look cool ๐Ÿ˜Ž 
  • Smash the apps. I use Clips & Green Screen by Do Ink to add features and fun
  • Be constant and consistent. More is definitely more!

Check it out: @mediamayhemmlc





No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Should be a Student Once in a While...

 I had Tweeted post workout the other day - pointing out how you can learn a lot about teaching while in a group class in the gym. The more ...