Monday, January 11, 2021

Forcing the Learning

 I love to share.

If I hear about an idea, a concept, a strategy - I try it. I love 'new', I thrive on experimenting.  Let's give it a shot - after all, you learn whether or not things go well - I would even posit that I have learned more from mistakes and awkward moments than I ever have from smooth sailing.  There's nothing quite like that moment where you look at the kids, they look at you, and we all decide, "Well, that didn't work!", we decide why, we find a better solution, and the learning is stronger than ever.

I thrive on discovery

I just wrote my mid-year reflection for our professional learning goal at school. I was feeling a bit guilty this year - national pandemics and political upheaval have meant that my goals haven't had the laser focus they normally do, the team goal we developed in those heady first days of school never really connected with my on-going personal learning goals...and with 170 students during those first couple of months, who had time to focus on professional learning, literature to support a goal, finding new podcasts or webinars to support learning...and all that jazz.  Not me!  The good news for my conscience was that I have actually done quite a lot of professional learning this year.  Well, it's really my hobby - so it might not have been as purposeful as I would like, might not get me those Brownie points since the learning doesn't really connect with our team goal, but there's a lot of reading, watching, and listening going on in Bridget's world.  

Forced Learning?

Two of the items on my list of 'personal professional learning' are the endorsements that I am in the midst of.  One is my Online Teaching Endorsement. A last-minute addition, I only just made it into the course.  I did 3 different courses over the summer, anticipating a virtual class-load this fall, and I loved every moment of the learning.  The endorsement is a logical step to produce the best teaching I can for my online students.  I had no idea how different the teaching needed to be, and everything I learn is instantly integrated into the classes I lead. That's the best kind of learning.  My other endorsement is Coaching and Support Endorsement, and ... well, sometimes having the opportunity to find that something is not for you, is as powerful as finding the right fit. How much of it is because of the year it is, I don't know - but making time for something that feels like a burden and that keeps you up at night, is not something that fits well with 2020-21 teaching. But funnily enough, it's helping my teaching...immensely.  Focusing on something you don't want to do and can't escape - it's not engaging. It's frustrating. You seek help that might not be there. You aren't available when others are there to help you. You feel alone. The instructions don't make sense.  

Wow. Makes you think, doesn't it? 

We need to remember, our students haven't chosen our courses. They aren't there because they want the learning. They aren't excited to see what the new lesson is. They aren't leaping to the computer for team meetings...unless we make it that way.  

My experiences right now are reminnders every day.  Make my course the one that the kids are interested to visit, the one they want to find out what's next. the meeting that they set the timer for.  That's a good lesson.  I don't want my students to feel the struggle the way I do.

So, instead of 'encouraging' work submission by penalizing grades, I'd rather add opportunities for choice and conversations about what we 'want to do'.  Instead of mandating and threatening calls home, I'd rather find out what they want to do and what would make meetings fun.  Breakouts for social time as well as collaborative work. Singing happy birthday and creating birthday message Jam Boards. A joke committee to find corny jokes and annoying riddles. Wearing silly hats, having pet day, hosting a lesson at a local barn. After soul searching about those students who struggled virtually last fall and what opportunities for success I truly gave them, I've added a special live meeting - "Let's Get Started." Every Monday, the group of 12 or so students is invited to work with me to start the work together.  Let's get stuff done.  Let's get started together.  My strugglers seem excited. They were delighted to get personal invites in the mail. We will see how it goes.  

Ever since reading Shift This by Joy Kirr, I have sought ways to give students ownership over their learning. Slowly, gradually, I am finding ways to do this virtually - and it feels good.

So every time I sigh and open up my course to stare blankly at the screen and try to figure out what to do, I purposefully flash a mental picture of my students and think, "What can I do to make sure that this doesn't happen to them?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Should be a Student Once in a While...

 I had Tweeted post workout the other day - pointing out how you can learn a lot about teaching while in a group class in the gym. The more ...