Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Making Connections

One of my goals for this year is to increase personal communication. It's all part of my #oneword - CONNECTIONS.  Too often I think, “They know I care, ” or, “I texts them, ” or, “I commented on Facebook.”

Really?  So, from colleagues to students to family, it’s time to reconnect in a more authentic way.  I want to show that I care through effort. I'd like to let others to know how much they mean to me, how much their support has helped me, how their presence makes a difference. It's good for me to feel that glow of giving thanks or growing a relationship, but even greater is the joy this can bring to the recipient. 

I am writing letters to my mother instead of emailing (insert vision of her re-reading multiple times as she tries to remember, "What Bridget said!"), sending a gratitude card each day to someone who truly makes a difference in my life, and sticking to my postcard/day to a student - which I have always done, but not always stuck to religiously!  

It's been so fulfilling for me to focus on what other people have done for me - and to share my gratitude with them.  Hearing/seeing a reaction when received is the icing on the cake.  Last week, I wrote a very heartfelt note to a neighbor friend, who just happens to be a teacher, who has started walking with me every weekend.  We share our highs and lows and brainstorm teaching.  Just telling her how grateful I was filled ME and knowing that she will be getting a surprise note through inter-office mail added to that high.  

From a student perspective, having them get a postcard in the mail (that their parent sees), thanking him or her for something done for their teacher, or a moment of support to the class, or a massive (or small) success...its massive. It fills my cup to overflowing when the surprise and joy is shared with me. It's a relationship builder, and considerable ‘Brownie points’ too!  Most important though, it recognizes the kids and builds their pride. I've had special cards, printed by Vistaprint, for years. This year though, my focus is on consistency, truly penning that note at the moment it's most deserved - and making sure that I catch that moment for every student.

I know how much it means to me when someone takes the time to write me a note - it brings such joy. It's my turn to go and give that gift to others.

Let's connect 💙

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Should be a Student Once in a While...

 I had Tweeted post workout the other day - pointing out how you can learn a lot about teaching while in a group class in the gym. The more ...