Friday, December 9, 2022

It's All Positive Here...

When I see so much negativity about teaching and the profession on social media, it makes me so sad. Especially since my experience this year has been so positive. Of course, I say that after moving out of the classroom and into the Media Center.

So what’s different?

I’m fully immersed with kids from the second I step into the building. 100%. Even when I have work to do and I attempt to hide in my office, they know my policy and will be standing at my desk with something to say at multiple random moments.

I have an office. And a bathroom.

I get to be creative and do what’s right for the moment. Whenever I want.

I have a budget. 

I’m able to have the students create and work the plan. There’s no competition for attention. There’s no set format.

Other teachers love that the kids are involved, that I’m doing my thing, that I’m trying new things, and that it’s working.

There is no resentment about success, only encouragement when things get tricky.

I have 100% administrative support. The entire team is wonderful, and I can’t stress that enough.

I work harder than I’ve ever worked during the day, and try as I can … I can’t plan or organize my time because there is no rhythm to the day. But when I come home …

When I come home, I can work if I choose to. I learn from others, reflect, play with my Blog/website (I just revamped and started again), get creative, and brainstorm … if I choose to. But I no longer have essays to pour over, parent emails/conversations, or student messages to answer.

OK. I have student messages, but that’s because they are excited and have come to me with great ideas or questions, or thoughts about our programs or events. And who wouldn’t love that?

I no longer give up a minimum of a day each weekend. I can hike. I can garden. I can read. And boy! Am I reading?! Book after book as I create a new book list and now move into reading the books we have so that I can help our kids with choices.

Also, I can watch The World Cup. So there’s that! I can watch the World Cup, connecting with kids who rarely brighten our doors - books scare them - but now we’re chatting, laughing, bantering, and even sharing soccer books and playing The World Game.

So, I’m not sure what the lesson is, but I will tell you, I’m happier than I’ve ever been - I’ve gone from loving my job, but being exhausted and stressed, to simply loving my job without the baggage. Just being where I’m supposed to be - and I think that I’m where the school needs me to be.

I feel guilty at times that while others struggle, I’ve found this perfect role. But on the other hand, that also makes me strive harder to find ways to support our teachers and find ways to truly make their lives easier. Because I can. The Media Center should be the hub of the school for all. Not just books. Not just kids. Teachers should get the benefits too. The vision is endless. There is so much exciting stuff to be done.

💙📚💙📚💙

This Week's Takeaway...

Want to be a hero? Let kids know that the 2-book limit is a thing of a pass.  Now they can borrow 5. 

No gatekeepers here!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Should be a Student Once in a While...

 I had Tweeted post workout the other day - pointing out how you can learn a lot about teaching while in a group class in the gym. The more ...