Sunday, August 21, 2022

#Joyful

 Two full weeks.

Two weeks and two days in my new role. 

And I couldn’t be happier.  My word for the school year was #joyful.  Well, that's where I am. 

As I have introduced myself to kids while orienting them to the Media & Learning Center (more on that rebrand later), I’ve pointed out to them that I now have the best job in the school. And it’s the truth.  I’m actually feeling vaguely guilty while around other teachers in the building - because this is great.  I’m not limited by my classes. I’m not limited by space. I have ALL the kids and a big beautiful room filled with books and new additions such as Lego, jigsaw puzzles, and multiple Maker-space items. 

Amazing. 

And then I get to choose how I work with the kids. They are all too happy to work with me to create the space, the energy, the programs, and the rebranding. And they are so filled with wonderful ideas and so much commitment to the cause. 

Can this be true?  Pinch me!

My favorite thing about teaching was creating the environment for learning. Being creative with presentations and making content more engaging. Now I get to live that. For me and for others. From rebranding the space (not just a library) to creating the Teacher Hub, to creating resources - and teaching - for teachers with things like research, APA formatting, DBQ options, and more.  It’s what I love to do.  Serving teachers, making things better for kids, and focusing on creativity.  Yes, please!

Books. Yes. We have books. And we need more books. But we aren’t a library, and that’s the rebrand that’s in place. Morning activities based around Maker Space, invitations for teachers to send groups of kids to work and study, and offers for me to teach their class. I am constantly trying to think of ways to offer the very best use of our glorious space. Hence the new name. MLC - The Media & Learning Center. Plus, a nice hashtag when needed! #MLC

It’s just a beginning, and I can’t wait for what’s to come. 

Three kids are meeting with me on Wednesday to propose their ideas for Hispanic Heritage month.  

Multiple students have applied to be considered for the student committee … 

…they are excited. I am excited. 

Let’s GO!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Should be a Student Once in a While...

 I had Tweeted post workout the other day - pointing out how you can learn a lot about teaching while in a group class in the gym. The more ...