Sunday, January 6, 2019

Lessons I've Learned From Working Out!


Workin It

I was driving back from the gym this morning, thinking about life, the universe, and Room 1113.  As I drove and thought about my progress at the gym, and what made me keep on coming back, I kept connecting what was happening in the OrangeTheory gym with what I should make happen in the classroom.  It all started when I began to think about how well they keep me on track for that hour of intense workout...

  1. We do a lot of stuff in one hour.  When given many directions, I switch off and stop listening. If there are directions not repeated, I’m completely lost. On the treadmills, I am a ‘power walker’. I can’t run. So I walk. Most folk jog or run, so most of the instructions are aimed towards them. When the instructor differentiates the ‘what to do’, it’s normally only said once. They have a little cheat sheet on the treadmill, which is awesome and helps support all ‘athletes’, but, I can’t read that without my reading glasses on. So, huh.  Instructions, clarity, and repetition...key.  At OrangeTheory, they have honed the art of instructions - and I must learn from this!  Before we go into the gym we get an outline of the workout.  I used to always think that I can't remember anything - they go so fast, but I have learned to trust the system.  Yes, it's a quick summary....but then we go in and go to our first station and it is re-explained.  Then pointers and reminders continue.  I know what to do...and when I don't, the instructors guide me back.  A great analogy for how I should be helping students in Room 1113.  The trainers are dealing with all levels of skill, fitness, and motivation...differentiation of how-to instructions is as important as anything else.
  2. I’m working really hard, I see and hear the instructor walking around, She’s talking to and about everyone else by name, saying how well they’re doing, but she doesn’t say, "Bridget" once. It makes me feel neglected, it makes you feel like she doesn’t care. OK, seriously? Do I really think it instructors care? I don’t know, but I know I want them to. I know I want the teacher to look at me with positivity - let’s think about that for a moment! Yes, we want to have positive attention drawn to us. When she only correct my mistakes and never says I’m doing well, I don’t like that. Fortunately, the OrangeTheory fitness where I work out, they always praise. I get at least one or two call-outs in every session and I’m always told that I’m doing well. If nothing else, when a correction is made, then positive feedback is also given afterward when you get it right. Lesson learned, it’s not always about being corrected, it’s often about being caught when you do it right! Which is funny really, I had this discussion with my riding instructor too - If you’re teaching me, and you want me to improve, you had better find what I am doing well, and hone in on it. Because the more you praise what I’m doing well, the better I will do that thing, and then everything else will come together to catch up. It’s just what works for me. But you know what? Sometimes I forget that as a teacher. Sometimes I forget that we grow from positivity and feeling good. Stop correcting so much, start building more.  So much to think about.
  3. We need results. Sometimes the results are not easy to see. Oh, I’d love to be that person who comes to the gym, loses 10 pounds and 2 inches all over, and posts a picture of his/her sweaty body and tight workout clothes on Facebook. Yes, not gonna happen. Well, unless I lose 25 pounds, then there’s a possibility. Anyway, I have lost an inch around my waist, which is nice. I didn’t gain weight over the festive season, so I think that’s a win. But after a month or so, going in 3 to 4 times a week, I’m not seeing the tangible number differences I would love to see. I do feel better though, so that’s a plus, and there’s no doubt that my fitness has increased. Results.  There has to be a result. It’s not just important that I see the difference, it’s also important that other people see and comment.  We need support to validate our hard work. When my instructor notes that I’m going faster on the treadmill than I was last time, or walks by and pays attention to the fact that my incline is at a much higher level on this round, and comments on it and reminds me of my progress - her support is key. So important to remember this for my kids.  If you just treat every action as an individual, just focus on the moment, but don’t look back at how far they have come, then the motivation kind of quits. Let’s face it, would you really be excited about your writing as an 11-year old if there’s no one telling you that you should be?  The motivation is so important, so vital to everything we need. I need that motivation, my kids need it too.  Remember to SHOW the students how far he/she has come. Help them to reflect on learning.
  4. Consistency. This reminds me of Eduprotocols by Marlena Hebern John Corippo. Anything you do on a consistent basis, gives you a baseline, you know where you’re at, you understand the process, and you can concentrate on the learning. It’s like that in the gym. You don’t want to get bored, the exercises have to change, but there needs to be a level of consistency so that you focus on what should be focused on. So I go to OrangeTheory. It’s quite simple, you have three different areas you’re working on - you’re on the rower, you’re on the floor, or you’re on the treadmill. Sometimes you do three blocks, one of each. Sometimes you do six blocks two times at each station. Sometimes you’re changing every five minutes. Regardless, you know that that’s what you’ll be working on today. We’re humans, even when we like to change (and I do), we all enjoy having a comfort level, a secure feeling of knowledge. Even when you’re the new kid, you know what’s going to come next. I have three options - and I can even choose where to start. Consistency..... doing the same thing again and again and again. Changing things up makes it fun and engaging. But the level of consistency so that I can figure things out at any moment in time, keeps everyone at a comfortable level.  Remember that the kids like change, like to be challenged, but familiar is important, comforting, and a safety net.  Routines work.
  5. Choice. No, you don’t really get choices of what to do in the workout - I mean, the trainer tells you what to do at OrangeTheory.  When you look more closely though, yes you do have a choice! And the way they do it is a neat visual into how a classroom could embrace ‘choice’. It’s not the free-for-all some teachers assume it will be.  No, it can be limited choices, the point is that there are choices.  Maybe which activity to start on.  Perhaps there’s an extension option, maybe there’s an easier way if the initial try creates too much difficulty.  The key is, everyone isn’t forced into the same small box, rather given the opportunity to find the challenge that best suits him or her.
  6. Desire.  So, this is where the analogy weakens - or does it?  I choose to workout ... ...but kids don’t choose to come to school.  They have to.  But, they don’t have a choice of school, whereas I do have a choice of gyms, so OrangeTheory has to consistently woo me back to get my monthly payment.  They have to make me want to go there instead of a different gym.  My kids have a choice of whether to switch on or off - my goal is to have them switch on.  Not only on, but I want them to seek the desire to learn.  They can be in the room, potentially even compliant, perhaps even trying their best to please teacher and parent, maybe even wanting an A.  Great, but what I seek is students who want to learn, want to know more, for themselves.  I am finally getting to a point where I am working out to make myself feel better, not because I ‘should’. Now I need to work on my Pedagogy and classroom habits to help my kiddos engage because they want to learn, not just because they think they should...
This all ties in to teaching, best practices, and feedback. Human beings need desire to accomplish, validation of efforts and results, visible achievements with support along the way, choices of actions to take and a reason to want to be better.  My trainer at the gym has it figured out, and now I need to take these lessons learned about me and apply them in Room 1113!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Should be a Student Once in a While...

 I had Tweeted post workout the other day - pointing out how you can learn a lot about teaching while in a group class in the gym. The more ...