Saturday, December 29, 2018

Negatives and Positives...

The Negative

I got tempted by another book today. Something about making my teaching magical. Isn’t that everyone’s goal? But I hesitated before purchasing. Actually, I didn’t purchase it! That is a miracle. I’m sure that will change later - I'm a sucker for a good book :-) but let’s talk about why I hesitated. 

Was it because I already have too many books? 
Or was it because I have a pile of books yet to read, that I still have not made any leeway on, even though we are into the second week of Christmas break? 
Perhaps because I have 'required' reading to do for my TKES goal...that I keep looking at and avoiding....
Could it be because I really need to stop spending money?

Yes, to all of the above...BUT,  the main reason was that of the struggle I’m having with making my teaching special this year. So wouldn’t it appear that this book might be the answer?  Perhaps. I will have to read up a little bit more on it but I have lots of books about making teaching magical, lots of fantastic ideas about how to engage and entice my students into learning, but here’s the thing, it’s a struggle making a textbook magical. 

It was so easy when we created our own lessons - we started with the end in mind, thought about how to cement the learning, and how to entice the students into the enjoyment of the topic, and went from there.  Then came this new year with a new textbook.  Our planning became about 'what it is the textbook says', 'what it is the textbook wants us to do' .....followed by, how can we make this more interesting?  There’s just something wrong about that. 

Mainly that it just didn’t work. 

So then we regrouped to create a combination of what we did before that worked, forced into the timing and constraints of the textbook curriculum.  It’s ok, but it could be better.  And it will be better. 

The In-Between

One of the teachers in our collaborative planning team was really excited about the textbook. She was so thrilled to have something that gave her an outline, that made her not reliant on the rest of the team. She was delighted by the tests and their DOKs and the workbook that gave assignments to the students. She had visions of great homework to send them home with, and work to do as a bell ringers. That’s awesome. The problem is for me, is none of those are ways that I like to teach. So, just as with any good group, we had a compromise. Those who wished to use the textbook in that manner now had the tools with which to do so. The others could find other ways to work things in, but we all followed the same timing.  And that’s how we started the school year.  We weren't really cohesive.  None of us really felt strong about our teaching.  We were on some unfamiliar ground.  Our students were not getting the best of us.

And Then The Positives......

There was a certain amount of feeling of vindication when, about halfway through the first semester, said teacher sat in collaborative planning, bemoaning the fact that we weren’t doing anything as active and energizing as we did last year. 

Where were the projects? Where was the engagement? Why is it all just writing and worksheets! 

I am proud of the fact that I bit my tongue. Truth is, I had learned a lot too by being forced into uncomfortable teaching methods.

It was a learning curve for all of us. I learned to teach in a more constrained manner, and admittedly, learned a lot about some new writing techniques, and ways to improve my students' work within the structure. Others learned the power of project-based learning, and how student choice improves everything. 

So now we go into our second semester. We are still following along this constraint of the textbook, and striving to combine what we know worked last year with the new pacing and texts from the textbook, but we are all far more open to change than we were.  We have also felt more empowered to go our own route, to teach the way that works best for us, We are brainstorming, and banging ideas back-and-forth between each other - all for the good. We ended last semester with a fantastic unit, that was a combination of the textbook, our IT's lesson concepts, and individualized additions, it was strong. My kids really benefited.  

And now I look forward to a new semester, it’s like a new shiny notebook, yet to be open, yet to be written on. When our planning team meets next week, my hope is that all will be as energized as I am.  That we will take our textbook plan and spice it up. I am filled with good ideas heard, learned, and thought of.  Great personal teaching plans are afoot with bringing in a 20% time for two of my classes, new feedback strategies and grading policies (losing putting a grade on the formatives - I can’t wait!!!), a great book to be read, and general fun ahead!

Bring it on 2019.  This is going to be a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Should be a Student Once in a While...

 I had Tweeted post workout the other day - pointing out how you can learn a lot about teaching while in a group class in the gym. The more ...