Sunday, September 30, 2018

Cliches & Crises


Nope, I'm not going to be negative here - however, the struggle IS real.  This textbook business really got me down, there's been a 'tired and overworked' feeling throughout our normally extremely positive and optimistic faculty, and I am not quite sure why I thought that a leadership endorsement would be a good class to add to my weekly schedule.....

BUT, the only person who has control over my attitude is me - and I have taken the last couple of weeks to really focus on finding my positivity again.  It has been surprisingly difficult.  I mean, I love my kids, I adore creating lessons and adding those touches to keep the kids engaged and bright.  I live for those moments where I 'have' the students and we are learning as a team.  I am proud of Room 1113 and what we can create.

And yet.

This year just hasn't given that same atmosphere or emotion. And that isn't fair on my kids.  I can get by and be a better teacher NEXT year - after all, I already know what changes I am going to make to the textbook in 2019-20 (what? How did THAT happen?!), but this year's kids are the ones who matter right now.

So, it started with an already planned opportunity to facilitate a Twitter chat - my first time.  I volunteered on Joy Kirr's list to lead #shiftthis.  I knew that it would invigorate me, and it did.  Then I focused on listening to the podcasts I had been neglecting.  From ideas on Google Teacher Tribe to solid ideas and better teaching on Cult of Pedagogy, I started to make notes again and get excited about possibilities.  Oh, what a wonderful feeling!  

Fall Break has allowed me to take a break.  It let me catch up on grading and to think about what my students really need from me.  It took the pressure away and gave me time to think.

Tomorrow it's back to the classroom.  I'm ready.  I have my plans made and I know that it will all change - because it always does!  My focus is back.  My attitude renewed.  

The test will be real.  Meeting before school.  Class after school.  A 7am-9pm day.  But I chose to do this, and I can only be better by always making and seeking new goals.  

Last year's goal was to shift my classroom.
My word of the year was transformation.
This year's goal was to create a class of readers.
My post-fall break goal is.......

To Be Joyful


No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Should be a Student Once in a While...

 I had Tweeted post workout the other day - pointing out how you can learn a lot about teaching while in a group class in the gym. The more ...