Thursday, May 21, 2020

Less Support? Working at Need Level? Thinking About Next Year



So I read this article. As somebody who used to ride her bike a lot, and whose husband still rides, the analog really held true. In fact, I really didn’t need to read the article – the title says it all.  The Training Wheel Fallacy for Teaching Writing

The article grows the analogy and made me think about a variety of experiences on my road bike. From that time I couldn’t unclip to save myself (in front of a filled restaurant beer garden), to the time some friendly redneck through a full cup of water at me - I guess he didn’t approve of cyclists! It made me compare those memories to my students’ experiences, just as this writer wanted me to do.  

What was particularly great about this article was the timing.. It came at the very moment that I had been thinking about just how to really use what I have learned this spring, during distance learning, in my teaching next year. The thinking continued.

Not long after reading this article, I had a student submit some work. The task was the final project of the year, quite simple – and very much reduced from expectations had we been at school. They had to take a god who was Greek as well as Roman and create a small presentation, including some specific criteria. They then had to create a virtual presentation of the findings. Most students created a slideshow, and then made a Screencastify. One student made a beautiful poster and videoed her presentation. A couple of students made videos of themselves presenting the slideshow using a cell phone and laptop. Two students made really good PowToons, and a couple of students used applications that I’ve never seen before. One student, had a Greek god talking to the Roman god, comparing each other. That was pretty creative. 

But then there was this one student, who has been a frustration all year. A nice boy, respectful, always does his work, but you always got the feeling that he did ‘just’ enough. You knew that there was more in there, but it just wasn’t coming out. I would conference with him, and my frustration always came out despite myself. He would always smile politely at me, and say that he was happy with his grade. Since I rarely talk about grades, that added to my frustration! I would say to him, “Yes, your grade is fine, but what about the learning – what about the creativity – don’t you want to do a little bit more?” He would smile politely and said he was quite happy. During our virtual learning, nothing has really changed there, he’s done most of the assignments, he’s done enough to fulfill a rubric or the criteria, and he’s just steadily gone along. But then we came to this final project. 

He blew me away. 

Now cynics in the room might say his parents probably did it for him. But I know the student’s situation, they did not. Was it as well 'finished' as some of the other work? No! He doesn’t have that habit of editing and polishing. But it was creative. It was unexpected.

He made Flipgrid do things I didn’t know Flipgrid was capable of doing! He had slides popping up in his presentation and transitions. He obviously spent some time creating this video. It was amazing! I told him so too. I even asked him if he can create a Screencastify showing us how to do that. He sort of mumbled at me on Google Meet, and I don’t think the task made the top of his to-do list.  But I do believe that he was delighted to be asked.

So what does this all boil down to? 

I think that although we know there are students who lost support that they needed or students who just never came and asked for help. Some didn’t know how to struggle and gave up immediately.  Next year, we will talk about struggle.

We know that there were students lost because of equity issues, lots of young children in the house, children left alone without supervision, and not ideal work situations – where schoolwork was the least important thing on the table. We know that. And if we have to continue virtual learning in any shape or form, we need to work through concerns and issues. 

I also know that there were teachers who did not offer learning opportunities on a consistent basis.  My kids thanked me profusely for offering the same class twice a day, they said it made a huge difference to have that option that could change with their schedule. They loved the fact that I kept going with the read alouds. 

This is not a pat on the back for Bridget, because I actually feel guilty for not having done more. I look around the country, or I participate in my club RCA webinars, and I realize there is so much more I could’ve done. And that in a future situation, I will be doing. It’s more of a statement that this has not been perfect.

But for some kids, this has been eye-opening. I have had students produce some of the best work that I’ve ever seen from sixth graders. And I know it’s because they’ve had the time to do it. There hasn’t been the pressure of ‘grades matter’ and there hasn’t been a state test out there, lurking in the future. It’s just been about being creative and producing the best work you can possibly do. 

Did some have help from the parents? Well sure! But they could’ve had that help in past years too, it’s rare that I’ve had anything that has not been allowed to be worked on at home! Typically I don’t assign much homework, but they would’ve had the choice to ask for help on on-going projects.  In some ways, it has been great to see non-involved parents stop in and take time to help their students. I’ve done these wonderful one-on-one sessions with students who have been struggling, and have seen them sore to heights that are not achieved at school. Because at school, I can’t give them more than two or three minutes in the class. At school others need attention. At school there are multiple distractions for both teacher and student.  

So what will change?
  1. I am going to look at each unit of study, and really think about what the end goal is – I mean I already did that to an extent, but I want to think about doing this in a different way. What is it that we want them to be able to do, and create? What is it we want them to be able to explain? What is it they just need to understand? Last year, I would have said that we did this - and we did. But having gone to ‘bare bones’ with virtual learning, it has shown me how important it is to REALLY did down and say, “What matters. What is ESSENTIAL?”
  2. As I look at what matters, how am I going to have them show me their knowledge? How can I find ways for the students to choose how to show me what they know?
  3. Now that I consider number one and two, I want to see how I can create that in a self-paced fashion. How can we make the learning possible for those independent learners, while still making sure that each goal has been achieved, and that every student has the support they need. Another thing I have learned from distance learning is how many students just rush through to get the job done, without paying attention to what COULD be done. I mean, that’s nothing new right? However, there are kids that have slipped by me in the past because the support was too great. I need to be able to let them fail a little more, and determine what needs fixing themselves. To me, this means more reflection during the learning and more self-checks, and perhaps peer checks.
  4. Conferring. Conferring. Conferring.
  5. Talk about struggle. How that's where the learning happens.
  6. Online conversations, evening help sessions, one-on-one support could be virtual to give me more time. Why not have a once a month conference? I don’t really give homework, so why not create a conference homework time? Depending on the number of kids and need, conferences could be more or less frequent. Personal. Individual.
  7. I definitely need to extend the belief and creativity through more open-ended concepts, with students having the opportunity to determine how they show their learning. I discovered that by being more experimental, we achieved more. So although we have to determine mastery of certain elements, why not allow the students to find ways to prove their mastery to me.  Choice is fun.  Choice is interesting.
  8. This year, I went to feedback instead of grades for formatives. My kids have been very very supportive of this. Interestingly, it is the highest achievers who have enjoyed the most. Taking away the fear of getting poor grades gave them the freedom to perform.  Now I’m looking at how to create that feeling in the summative aspect of things. I know that I will not be able to go gradeless for summatives, although there might be some potential there for conferring to adjust grades. However, I am thinking of working with my team to have more frequent and focused summatives. Enough of these awful, long tests. To me, they create a lot of failures and not a lot of success. It’s been something I’ve been playing with for a while, and have had some success, but I think this year will be the year to get serious.

There’s always so much to do and so much to think about as summer approaches. I always feel like it’s important not to just say, “We’re done”, and then revisit at the beginning of the year - because of the beginning of the year, it’s honestly too late. Now is when you reflect. Now is when you make decisions.

We don’t know what next year will look like, but we do know is, this will be our go-to in similar situations. We need to be able to manage our online learning, we need to manage to coach, engage, and support in a virtual capacity. I feel like I’ve made some great strides, and I have a vision for what could be achieved. I believe that in future situations, we will go into this with a little bit more structure and that will help immensely. Parents frequently told me how grateful they were – actually the students more than the parents – for teachers with set class times. They wanted to know, on a consistent basis, exactly what was going to be taught when, rather than the occasional ‘hit and miss’ of some offerings.

We all need a little bit of structure, and we all need a little bit of freedom. We all need support, but we all need to be allowed to fly. Some students need more help than others, others need more options. The bottom line is, I can do this, I just need to plan and think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone Should be a Student Once in a While...

 I had Tweeted post workout the other day - pointing out how you can learn a lot about teaching while in a group class in the gym. The more ...